Transport trailers, also known as semi-trailers, are an essential part of the transportation industry. They are typically used to transport large quantities of goods, materials, or equipment over long distances but save money & provide flexibility as when used as storage trailers. In this article, we will discuss what transport trailers are, how they work, and what they are good for.
What are Transport Trailers?
A transport trailer is a large, wheeled vehicle that is designed to be towed by a truck or tractor. The most common is a 53 foot trailer and can carry up to 80,000 pounds of cargo. Transport trailers are typically made of steel or aluminum and feature a box-shaped cargo container that is mounted on a chassis. The container is designed to be easily loaded and unloaded using a forklift or other equipment.
How do Transport Trailers Work?
Transport trailers are typically designed to be towed by a tractor or truck with a fifth-wheel hitch. The hitch is located on the rear of the tractor and connects to the kingpin on the front of the trailer. The trailer is supported by two or more axles, which are mounted on the chassis. The axles feature a suspension system that helps to absorb shocks and vibrations during transport.
Transport trailers are also equipped with brakes and lights, which are controlled by the driver of the towing vehicle. The driver must have a commercial driver’s license (CDL) to operate a transport trailer, as they require specialized training and skills.
What are Transport Trailers Good For?
Transport trailers are ideal for transporting large quantities of goods or equipment over long distances. They are commonly used in the shipping industry to transport goods from one location to another. They are also used in the construction industry to transport heavy equipment, such as excavators, bulldozers, and cranes.
Transport trailers are also used in the retail industry to transport goods from distribution centers to retail stores. They are often used to transport products such as clothing, electronics, and household goods. Additionally, transport trailers are used in the food industry to transport perishable items, such as fruits, vegetables, and meat products.
There are several different types of transport trailers available, each designed to meet specific transportation or mobile storage needs. Some of the most common types of transport trailers include:
- Dry Van Trailers – Also known as box trailers, dry van trailers are enclosed containers that are used to transport a wide range of dry goods, such as clothing, electronics, and household items.
- Flatbed Trailers – Flatbed trailers feature an open, flat platform with no sides or roof, making them ideal for transporting oversized or irregularly-shaped items, such as construction equipment, vehicles, and large machinery.
- Refrigerated Trailers – Refrigerated trailers, also known as reefers, are temperature-controlled containers that are used to transport perishable goods, such as fruits, vegetables, and meat products. These trailers are equipped with refrigeration units that maintain a constant temperature inside the container.
- Lowboy Trailers – Lowboy trailers are designed for transporting oversized or overweight items, such as large machinery, construction equipment, and vehicles. They feature a low platform and a lower center of gravity, making them ideal for carrying heavy loads.
- Tank Trailers – Tank trailers are used to transport liquids, such as gasoline, oil, and chemicals. They are typically made of aluminum or stainless steel and are designed to safely transport hazardous materials.
- Dump Trailers – Dump trailers are designed to transport loose materials, such as sand, gravel, and construction debris. They feature an open container that can be raised and tilted to dump the contents onto the ground.
- Livestock Trailers – Livestock trailers are used to transport livestock, such as cattle, horses, and pigs. They are typically made of steel and feature multiple compartments to separate the animals during transport.
Each type of transport trailer is designed to meet specific transportation needs, and choosing the right trailer for storage or your transportation needs is essential for ensuring that your goods or materials are transported safely and efficiently.
Transport trailers are an essential part of the transportation industry, allowing goods and materials to be transported efficiently over long distances. They are versatile, durable, and can carry a wide range of goods and equipment. Whether you are in the shipping, construction, retail, or food industry, transport trailers are an excellent option for storage or transporting your goods and materials.